Monday, January 5, 2015

Trench Coat

#86. Trench

The trench coat entry deserves to stand on its own. This will be only about the trench and nothing else.




Breakfast at Tiffany's, Audrey Hepburn. Her in that gorgeous trench coat. So chic, so simple, so alluring. Who didn't want to be Holly Golightly after watching that film? (Minus the smoking)

The Burberry trench coat is something I have wanted to add to my wardrobe for years. YEARS! I purposefully have never purchased a coat in order to truly appreciate the trench when, if ever, it came into my life.

Lucky for me, that day was today! Never mind that I will be paying it off for the next year... my husband agreed to buy it for me if I made a payment plan so currently we have a little trench payment thermometer on the fridge that will take some time to fill up!

I think this part of Nina Garcia's "The One Hundred" was my favorite section of the book. That and the little black dress. She explains the importance of having a great trench coat, and how it can save any outfit. However my favorite part was the history of the trench.

Here is a short excerpt by Nina about the trench;

"Every aspect of the trench coat is purely functional, since it was originally created as a coat for British soldiers to wear during WWI. It is made of tightly woven gabardine, for water resistance. It is long enough to keep the rain out of a soldier's boots. It has a double-breasted closure and straps on the cuffs to tighten when it rains. (...) The coat became a British institution, a film-noir mainstay, and a style staple for both men and women." (p.245)


Did it ever! So many companies make a variation of this original trench coat but the first were in fact made by Burberry and in my opinion, they are the best. They are waterproof, handmade, the buttons are made of horn, the list goes on. 

Pictures of all the Burberry coats can be found here and the specific one I purchased can be found here in the color Stone. I made an "unboxing" video for the coat but I will tell you a bit more. 






I originally purchased this coat in Honey. But after a night of sleep I realized that the Stone was really the color that would stand the test of time. For me at least. The Honey was beautiful too! I will say this is the MOST I have ever spent on a single item of clothing. So take your time picking one out. Ask the person helping you at the store to bring out all the colors, lengths and styles that you are considering. You do NOT want to drop two grand on something you can't see yourself wearing in 30 years. Unless your a wealthy celebrity and maybe not even then.

I hope, with fingers crossed, that you consider investing in a trench coat. It does not even need to be from Burberry. There are tons of different options, styles, and brands to choose from! One quick google search will offer endless choices. I feel very strongly that a good trench coat is an essential part of every woman's wardrobe. That and a good pair of heels, and you are ready to rule the world. 

I have to thank Nina Garcia for finally giving me that extra push towards making the investment. I'm sure you will be seeing many future posts with me wearing the coat! 

In other news I have now entered spending hibernation. A: Because I need to pay off my coat. B: Because there are other things on my "one hundred list" that need saving up for. I do have a lot of the items on the list, because I owned them before I read Nina's book. I will be making future posts on my preowned items and nothing brand new out of the box. But they will be FABULOUS none the less. 

Cheers, darlings! 

Miss Ally Jean 

PS: Here is a link to the video! Yes my hair is messy, whatever!  



No comments:

Post a Comment