Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Denim Jacket and Diamond Studs

If you know me in "real life" you know that I am not an outdoorsy type of person. In fact the last time I went camping I totally cried. I am a city girl through and through. So when Mike suggested we take a short hike to capture some outdoor photos- I was hesitant and suspicious. Turns out his idea of a short hike is FOUR hours, where as mine is about 30 minutes. Needless to say - I am still sore from the hike, which was three days ago...

I have to admit, it really was worth it. The photos he took are fantastic and the scenery was beautiful. If you live in the area and have not checked out Grant Ranch- take your dog up there and go on a (little) hike.

With our backpacks full of clothes and camera equipment we took off ready for adventure!

#26. Denim Jacket

A short reminder - this blog is all of my average girl tips and tricks for beauty. I also have an ongoing segment based off of Nina Garcia's book "The One Hundred" Which is an amazing short book on how to build an adult wardrobe, and how to dress well and not be a "fashion victim."

Here are a few tips from Nina on buying and wearing the denim jacket "Be extreme. It should either be really dark or really worn out. Buy it a size too small or find a really fitted model. In general, don't wear it with another piece of blue denim."

That last one, I believe, is the most important. There is nothing worse than a denim on denim outfit, ladies! Caution!

I have two denim jackets. The lighter of the two I picked up at Crossroads Trading Co. for dirt cheap. Probably less than $20 dollars. The darker, I honestly cannot remember where it came from. It has been in my closet that long. Probably since middle school- I basically stopped growing in 7th grade so some of my clothes from then still fit me. I don't know if that is good or bad. Both jackets are originally from The Gap.






 The only thing jean jackets do not go with- are more jeans. Unless they are white. I like to wear mine with short skirts and dresses. I like mixing the masculine with the feminine. I wouldn't recommend spending more than $50 on a denim jacket. This isn't one of the items you need to buy brand new. In fact, they are kind of uncomfortable brand new. Better to buy one second hand that is already broken in. It will give you that "cool girl" vibe.

#27. Diamond Studs

"Best when large, real, and received as a gift. But large, fake, and self-purchased do the job, too (if you lose one, you won't want to kill yourself). They are a perfect everyday earring, as they add a bit of sparkle without being obnoxiously in-your-face about it. There are not many outfits that the diamond stud doesn't get along with" - Nina Garcia in "The One Hundred"

Real or fake-diamond studs are my favorite go to earring. Let me rephrase that- fake diamond studs are my favorite go to earring. I do not have real diamond earrings, nor do I plan on ever buying or receiving them- as I am fairly definitely positively sure I'd lose one and cry forever.

I have small dainty ones I purchased at Target or Nordstrom for less that $20. But the award for my favorite pair goes to Kate Spade. What girl doesn't love Kate Spade?! You tell me!!

A link for ordering the Kate Spade pair I am wearing in my photos can be found here. I throw these babies on ALL. THE. TIME. They make a casual outfit look chic, they dress up an already dressy look. They are versatile, funky, and fun. Plus super affordable!

 Squinting from the oh-so-bright sun. 

The cuff in this photo is also manufactured by the same company as Kate Spade and Tory Burch- I picked it up at Therapy in Downtown Campbell- the proceeds go to charity. 


I hope you girls are enjoying my posts! Please let me know if you would like videos or tutorials on specific things. Also keep your eyes peeled for the next free beauty giveaway! It should pop up some time next week. 

Your blushing beauty, 

Miss Ally Jean 

No comments:

Post a Comment